Friday, October 15, 2010

SHIMANO TLD REVIEW

My reel of choice when I am catching the larger fish would have to be a Shimano Tld 25. I use this reel for bottom bashing across paddocks, trolling or floating a live bait out the back for a mackerel. I have used my Tld every time i have been out over the past year and have pulled in a lot of nice fish without any problems. It has a gear ratio of 3:6:1 and holds 600 yards of 30lb line. I run 30 lb braid with a 80 lb mono leader on mine. Its a single speed with a lever drag.

The only problem with this reel is because it's large, it tends to roll on the rod which can make your arms sore after a while. The Tld 20 is the same reel just smaller and holds less line but feels a lot more comfortable when holding it all day. I have caught some large Gt's, some big Reds, and some large Nannygai's. When trolling of Hook i have also hooked onto a really large Cobia but i lost him beside the boat. I have also hooked onto a Marlin but i lost him when he jumped, and that was one of the best days of my life on the water. So I have put this reel through a real work out and I have never had a hint of a problem.

Next time you are looking for a reel that can hold up to almost anything thats in the water, don't go past the Shimano range of Tld's. Price wise they are a lot cheaper then what they used to be, You can pick up a 25 from a tackel shop for around $200 - $250, or a lot cheaper on Amazon or Ebay. You will get a lot of pleasure from this reel and land some massive fish. I put a link on the side bar for Tld's being sold on Amazon where i brought mine from. Be sure to keep your fishing photos coming in to share with the readers just email me the photo and some information on fishingwhitsundays@hotmail.com and I will add them to the catch of the week photo section.
Drop a line for me and catch a big one

3 comments:

  1. i agree that for the cost a tld 20 is the best reel on the market they are avalible from every local fishing store and if you ever have a problem they can arrange service for you as for buying of amazon i dont see them servicing reels they sell so pls shop local keep them in business

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i agree about the local fishing shops they are fantastic in the whitsunday's, But also there are a lot of people in this area that don't earn much money (like me) and end up buying a cheap reel that only lasts a short time for the same price they could buy online. (i have done this before) If i buy a reel off Amazon I still have it serviced and repaired at the local shops, I buy my line, bait, tackle from local tackle shops and support them 100% but when it comes to reels I think they are right about buying online for the price. Also a lot of people just drive to Mackay and buy from big chains like BCF and i also think if local fishing shops don't do something that they will be a thing of the past...It's so hard too compete with the internet and large retail chains. It will be a sad day when it happens
    My 2 cents for what its worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have got stuff online aswell but i only get stuff that i cant get in australia and if a $200 dollar fishing reel is to expencive for a person they should maybe layby wich local shops will do or maybe the $200 bucks in fuel is something they can't afford either i to dont earn much money so i dont fish as much as i want but i do own good fishing gear
    looks like i started something hear im just saying that in 10 years if you want to buy stuff from a shop and not wait for delivery for every thing including bait (wich there are online stores for) spend $20 bucks more and truly support a local

    ReplyDelete